Monday, September 19, 2016

P2: Chapter Eleven

Ragnar

Ragnar paused at the crown of the hill, before heading down to the entrance of Camp Out. It looked as it had in the past, a door propped on a rocky hillside. As he walked toward that door he basked in the satisfaction of having completed both his bounties. He was a few steps from his destination when the door open,and aSTARTe came out. “Ragnar!” She cried when she saw him.
“Hi aSTARTe, how goes it?” Ragnar returned her greeting.
She smiled broadly, “It’s good to see you.”
She walked up to him and hugged him tightly. He hugged her back. Her hair moved, twisting, over her body reminded him that it was the only thing between him and her body. He stepped back before things could become awkward. “It’s good to see you too.” Then remembering that she was exting Camp Out when he had walked up he added, “Are you leaving?”
“Yes,” she looked down sadly. Suddenly she stepped in and hugged him again. Ragnar closed his arms around her. After a long moment she reached up and touched his cheek with a perfectly manicured fingernail, eyes flashing she said. “I have a bounty to go track down. Don’t worry, I don’t think it will take long.” Using her finger, she pulled his face down to hers. She kissed him. After she slipped out of his arms, tossed her head then walked away.
Ragnar stood still as if stunned. aSTARTe turned and yelled over her shoulder. “Word to the wise, careful in there, it’s getting tense.”
This shocked Ragnar out of his revery, “Wait, what do you mean?” But she was gone, he looked at the spot where she had disappeared for a long time. When it was clear that there would be no answers coming, he thought there was only one way to find out.
“I don’t need your protection! In fact, fine, have the whole place, I don’t want this!” Ragnar heard clearly through the closed door. Thinking that he should get in there to break up a fight, he almost collided with LizZard in the doorway. LizZard, looking as angry as a gecko can, firmly grabbed Ragnar’s arm. “You seem nice, but those two are snakes. Be careful, They are evil. Get out while you can.” Then turning his head, he shouted back into the room, “if we meet again it will be as enemies!” With that parting shot he patted Ragnar on the shoulder, licked his eye, pulled his hood up and turned to walk off.
“Where are you going to go?” Ragnar called after him.
LizZard turned and looked back over his shoulder, “I’m going to find a clan.” He said sadly then walked off sticking to the valley instead of going to the road.
Ragnar watched for a moment then walked through the open doorway into Camp Out not sure what he would find. The room was silent, and still. MoProbs, the only possible target for LizZard’s anger, sat at a table looking at Ragnar. “What was that all about?” Ragnar asked as he moved to a chair at MoProb’s table. Shocked because LizZard has always seemed so relaxed, chill.
MoProbs rubbed his forehead then sighed, “a difference of opinion, that’s all really.”
Ragnar sat down, “That didn’t sound like just a simple differing of opinions.”
“Yeah, I guess you’re right.” MoProbs laughed then shrugged. “I wanted to expand our office space. I offered to pay for it. But I guess I insulted his delicate sensibilities, I don’t know.”
“What was that about protection?” Ragnar asked.
“Nothing!” MoProbs’ voice went high, he took a breath and continued in a more normal voice. “I only said that with a greater presence, The Band of the Golden Hand would be in a good position to protect Camp Out, that set him off. Never mind, I’ll talk with him, I’m sure we can work it out. Let’s move on, how did you do?”
Ragnar knew that there was more to this story. The kiss, the fight, and the warning all added up to something. But what? This was not the time to try and figure it out. “It went well, I got them both.”
“Nicely done! You’re building up quite a name for yourself aren’t you?”
“Wait, what do you mean?”
“You don’t know? No, you really don’t. Your name is ringing out, you are becoming the symbol against Tokening. That’s what we, LizZard and I, were talking about before he blew his stack.”
“You were talking about me?”
“Sort of, more about you reputation, or how we could profit from it. LizZard was very against that idea.”
“I guess so. I’m not so sure I like it either.”
“You don’t have a choice, my friend.”
“What do you mean? What did you do?”
MoProbs laughed, “It’s all you, my friend, I haven’t needed to do anything. They say that the statue of your fight against gNun45 has gotten so many likes it’s over twenty feet tall! Twenty feet! You’re a household name, do you get that. So yeah, I don’t see why we, you, shouldn’t take advantage of it. You shouldn't even think about like that. It’s not taking advantage, it’s just using the tools that are presented.”
“To make money.”
MoProbs shrugged, “Why not?”
“I have to think about all of this.” Ragnar’s head was spinning. “Are there any bounties that need hunting? Ideally one in the area of Ral’ya, I have to work a shift in the bank over there.”
MoProbs broke into a large grin. “It just so happens we do. It’s a special one, the principle who commissioned the bounty said he would pay double gold if you are the hunter who collects the bounty.”
“Why me?”
“I have no idea. He is willing to pay us more, I didn’t question it.”   
“Okay. I guess I’ll take it. You’re sure it’s near Ral’ya?”
“Yes, I’m sure. There is another in Rifka, if you want to swing through either on your way there or coming back.”
“Sure, that’s would be fine. I haven’t been there yet, do you have it on your map?”
“That’s fantastic. Yes I do, It’s here, between Sorka  and Ral’ya. Go ahead and load my map on to yours. I’ll add the information on your two bounties.” MoProbs unrolled his map worked quickly to highlight the two bounties.
Ragnar pulled hut and touched it to MoProbs’. “Thanks. I should actually be on my way,I have to go to the bank, and I think I need to find an alternate route around Sorka.”
“Why? Traffic?”
Ragnar laughed, “No, that place is like the wild west, I don’t have time to fight my way through the town.”
“Well I guess you better get a move on then. Do you have time for a quick glass of TZ?” MoProbs asked already filling two glasses from a pitcher on his table.
“Sure, should make the walk more interesting,” Ragnar accepted the offered glass.
“More cerebral for sure.” MoProbs mused.
“Cheers!” They touched glasses, and drank.
Returning his glass to the table Ragnar left the tavern. Outside he was quickly past the tense anger of CampOut. The air was fresh and sweet, warmed by the sun. He breathed deep into his stomach, let it out slowly feeling his legs working like pistons. In one slice of his mind was completely in those legs, moving with each bone, tendon, and muscle. The rest of his mind had moved on, a passenger in this machine. While another slice of mind contemplated these dueling consciousnesses, or is is it consiousi?
The rest of his mind was caught up in analyzing what had just happened. Trying to understand what it all meant. What was the fight really about? Was MoProbs telling the truth? Why would he lie? What about LizZard’s warning? If MoProbs lied, maybe he was a snake. What about aSTARTe? What about the kiss?
What about the kiss? As much as he tried to keep his mind focused on the fight and the warning, Ragnar couldn’t help returning to the kiss. What did it mean? Why did she do it? What was her relationship with MoProbs? What did that matter?
“Ragnar!”
Hearing his name pulled him from his revery. Looking around he found he had stumbled into the outskirts of Sorka. Ragnar cursed himself under his breath, he had wanted to find a way around the town.That wasn’t going to happen now, now he would have to fight.
“Ragnar’s here!”   
Hearing his name for the second time stopped his hand from going to his weapon. Sorka differed from the Norka and Orup, both socially and in layout. While the other towns were built around large social halls resulting in many principles in small areas. Sorka in contrast seemed to have a tiny lean-to for every principle. There was no discernible street, no pattern or method that Ragnar could see. As he took in the mass of people coming towards, it represented an unknown number of principles from and unknown expanse of land. At this moment it looked as if every lean-to had emptied and all the principles were walking towards him calling his name. The crowd drew closer.
Ragnar took a breath to calm his nerves. The TZ had set him on edge, maybe even clouded his vision. After a second deep breath he could see it was not a horde that approached merely a large handful. What he saw when he looked past the principles, caused him to take a third deep breath.

1 comment: