Thursday, September 29, 2016

P2: Chapter Twelve

RotheRed

RotheRed looked up from the map, “Enter!” he barked. ChefBobOne65 pushed the door open allowing MaoMao420, with FreiMarkt riding his shoulder, stepped into his office. “Report,” RotheRed ordered FreiMarkt.
The ninja scampered from his friend's shoulder to sit cross-legged on the desk. “It’s like you thought, those defences are tight. We attacked five times, like you ordered, only once were we able to reach the other side of the river, and that time the bridgehead was wiped out as soon as it was discovered.” He shrugged, “Boss if I can speak frankly.” he paused waiting for the go ahead nod, which came quickly. “We need to find another way across the river. If we are going mount any form of effective attack on those defenses we need to be on the other side of the river.”
“Oh, I agree,” RotheRed said, “and that’s why I need you to keep up the attack.”
“What!? I don’t understand. I mean it’s a grinder, and it’s accomplishing nothing more than making our enemy stronger.” FreiMarkt was obviously excited and his big friend placed a calming muddy hand on his back when he finished speaking.
“You’re right, and it’s a shame that we are helping them level up. Unfortunately, it needs to be done, I need them pinned down in one place.” RotheRed held up one hand to prevent an interruption, “I need them thinking that your attack is a serious threat. It’s like you said we need another way across the river, and I can’t have them interfering, Clear? Good, before you leave town, find David23, let him know he is to be your second in command. Work with him to select a squad to aid in your assault. I’m counting on you.”    
FreiMarkt threw up a sloppy salute then scampered up his friend's arm together the started to exit the room. As MaoMao420 opened the door, RotheRed called out, “Tell Chef Bob to  issue you both a ration of TZ, then to come in here. Thank you.”
He looked at the map while he waited for the portly barkeep. He didn’t wait long, a knock was followed by the door opening and ChefBobOne65 stuck his head in. “You want me Boss?” he asked.
“Yes, come in, I need two scouts. You know our soldier best. Pick two out; send in one, and get the other ready for when the first leaves.”
“I know the best two, the first will be in shortly.” ChefBobOne65 left and soon returned with female principle.
Drac1
Level 3
Wallet-5Au
RotheRed watched her silently as ChefBobOne65 exited the room. She was a lizard, with a short snout and dark golden, almost red, scales. The scales, her only armor or clothing, gleamed metallic from her chest, legs and arms. A frill extended from the back of her head protecting her back.
“Come.” RotheRed motioned Drac1 over to his desk, then pointed her attention to the map. “We are here, in Norca. This main street continues into the woods, it becomes a path and turns here. Not far from the turn it has a bridge to cross the river. I dropped the ball and LeBlu moved faster that I thought he would. He set up a stronghold which controls the crossing. This is especially unfortunate because so far that is the only eastbound road I have discovered so far. The same road that leaves Norca and as far as I have seen runs due south. Red Army scouts have gone as far south as here,” pointing to the map.
“There’s a small outpost called, CampOut. The principles there are fiercely neutral, and I have respected that by not sending any scouts down that way. With the southeast road blocked, I now need to know what is south of us, that’s your mission. A secondary goal is to spend some time at camp out, I’m very curious to know what their set up is, especially because I heard that the Band of the Golden Hand is headquartered there. Please make sure you stop on your return leg, to make sure the information is up to date.
“But understand your primary mission is to find a road that goes east. Your rules of engagement are to only use force if you are attacked. While at Camp Out your ROE is to avoid conflict at all cost. That is one hive I don’t need kicked. Is your mission clear?”
“Yes Boss, crystal.”
“Good. I’m conditionally promoting you to sargent for this mission.”
“What condition?”
“If your mission is a success, you keep the rank and stay on as a scout. If you fail, I’ll send you to the front.”
“Understood, with your permission I would like to get started right away.”
“Very good, you’re dismissed. Good luck, and on you way out tell Chef Bob to issue a ration of TZ and send the next soldier in.”
The door barely closed behind her before it opened and a tall man carrying a helmet under his left arm. His blond hair was almost white, it was short on the back and sides, with bangs hanging across one eye. His red military uniform was immaculately tailored and pressed. Gold epaulets, ribbons and a golden cavalry saber hanging on his left hip completed the look.
Otto_Korrect
Level 3
Wallet-3Au
“Boss. I await your order.” He said, with a sharp salute.”
“Otto, I need you for a very important mission. I need a protected river crossing, much like the one the Blue Army has constructed, here.” RotheRed pointed to his map. “Your first mission is to scout the river south and find a location. Once you have found a suitable location, return here and we’ll discuss next steps. I’m going to promote you to sargent for this mission, if you find a good location, I’ll promote you to lieutenant and put you in command of the mission of constructing the stronghold. Can I count on you for this all important task?”
A knock on the door prevented Otto_Korrect’s response. “This better be important!” RotheRed bellowed. The door cracked open ChefBobOne65, eyes downcast, stuck his head into the room. “Boss, I’m sorry to interrupt, but BrutAl just returned, you said to send him in right away. Do you still want him sent in?”
RotheRed signed, “You’re right I said that. Please send him in.” Then addressing Otto_Korrect, “I need to deal with this, can I trust you to complete your task?”
“Yes, Boss.” Otto_Korrect opened the door, let BrutAl then closed it behind himself.
“Welcome back,” RotheRed said, “Would you like a glass of TZ before you debrief?”
“Please,” BrutAl seemed worn out and dirty. He had slight circles under his eyes, with a slight yet persistent dusting of sand. Since joining the Red Army BrutAl had added red highlights to his armor and ‘died’ his tri-hawk red, to show his loyalty. The sand covering him was also of a reddish hue, contrasted with his light skin leaving him looking pallid.
Taking a glass from a drawer in his desk, filled it from his personal pitcher then passed the glass to BrutAl who said, “thank you,”  accepted the glass a took a long drink. After taking a breath he finished the glass and placed it on the desk. “Man, being in the desert gives you such a thirst!”         “What desert?” RotheRed asked. “Where did that ape take you?”
“Here,” BrutAl pulled his map out and touched it, still rolled up, to RotheRed’s which lay unrolled across the desk. With a twist of color, BrutAl’s path was revealed. He put his map way then pointed to CampOut. “The came straight here, I didn’t follow them inside, I assume this was a simple delivery because the ape carried two barrels in. The goblin waited outside, didn’t see him talk to anyone. When they left CampOut they went off the road immediately, heading east.
“You can see what I assume is south end of the forest here. Anyway, I followed as they skirted the woods and moved past this lake, here. This area to the south and east of the lake is all desert. It is very flat, with little to no ground cover, so I had to stay pretty far back from the cart to avoid detection. they were almost at the mountain when I lost them.
“I’m sorry Boss. They just disappeared, it looked like they walked into the side of the mountain. I thought I would find a door or something, but nothing. I touched it, nothing! It is solid rock, I followed the mountains to the east, as you can see I found this road that seemed to come from in the mountain, but it went nowhere, literally nowhere, just a little crevasse you can stand in, The path just starts leading away from the mountain.
“I ignored the path and circumvented the whole mountain looking for a way in, I never found one. I found another path, but like the first one, it goes nowhere. Looking at them now on the map it looks like it’s one road running straight through the mountain. That cart must have gone into the mountain and I tried, I really did, but I couldn’t find a way to follow. The mountain is too tall, I couldn’t see the top. So. . . I don’t know, I just don’t know. Do you want me to go back?” BrutAl looked down at the map the whole time he spoke. When he finished speaking his eyes remained downcast.
RotheRed smiled, “Your mission was to find where the TZ came from.You did that, it comes from inside that mountain. As far as I’m concerned your mission was a complete success. I think you performed admirably, I have only one follow-up question, did you see any sign of the Blue Army?”
BrutAl took a few moments to think about the question. “No Boss, I didn’t see any Blue soldiers. If I may speak freely.” RotheRed made a motion of acquiescence. “I don’t think this is the Blue Army. It doesn't make sense, what do they get out of it? More to the point the goblin and the ape, there is something not right about them. They are not principles like you or I. I still think it could be good to look into it, but I don’t think it’s related to our war. Just my opinion.”
“I agree with you. Well, I agree that TZ is not related, that was the true mission you were on. But that also means that you are to return your full attention to our war. We are in a bat-.”
A knock interrupted RotheRed, “Come!” He barked.
ChefBobOne65 stuck his head in and looking scared said, “Boss you gotta get out here! There is some freaky stuff happening.”
“Give me one moment! Look Brut I need you in this war and I need you strong. Your next mission is to go to the front, I want you to join Lieutenant FreiMarkt’s unit, go and report to him. Now let’s go see what ridiculousness I have to deal with.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment